Friday, March 22, 2013

Ruger's Birth

On September 17, 2012 Mitch and I were hoping to spend the day doing something fun for our 2 year anniversary. I had a doctors appointment that afternoon after Mitch got out of school. My blood pressure was elevated and I hadn't felt the baby move a whole lot. I tried eating something little before the appointment but still not much activity. After discussing this with our doctor, he told us that I was at a 2, he wanted us to go get a non stress test just to make sure the baby was doing ok he was a little worried about my blood pressure. He told me I would most likely not be making it to my due date that he would see me next week and we would discuss it further. He told us to go across the street to the hospital and they would get me right in for the non stress test. Mitch and I had made plans to go to PF Changs for our anniversary dinner, We were both getting hungry but decided we better go get the test done first then off to dinner. Well what we were told would only be a twenty min wait ended up being almost a three to four hour wait. By the time we got in to do the test I could feel the baby moving like crazy. I almost said forget the test he's fine lets just go eat! But we stayed and did the test. It only took twenty min once we were in the room to know everything was fine. Off we were to have our anniversary dinner!

On September 24th we meet with the doctor for a check up and he said I was still at a 2 but with my blood pressure being elevated he didn't want to take any chances and that I needed to decide if Tuesday or Wednesday evening worked better for us. Remind you this is Monday the 24th! Luckily I had everything ready to go for the baby so Mitch and I discussed it and decided Wed evening would work best with is school.

We were scheduled to be at the hospital at 11pm September 26th. We got a phone call from the hospital around 8 saying that they didn't have room for me, that I would have to wait until morning, just to get a good nights rest and they would call when it was time to come in. GOOD NIGHTS REST!!! not going to happen, I was to nervous and excited to meet my new baby boy! I tried to sleep the best I could. We got a call at 5am on Thursday the 27th and off we went to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital around 5:30 am. The nurses got me all situated, hooked up to all the machines, and got the IV put in. after starting me on the pit I wasn't progressing very fast. Around 8am they broke my water. Shortly after that I started having back contractions and I thought things were progressing quickly, my contractions where getting closer together and stronger but I still was only at a 3. They gave me some Tylenol and told me to wait a little bit longer for the epidural. I waited as long as I could the back contractions were just to much. The whole time he was prepping me for the epidural I was nervous, I was having strong contractions throughout the whole time.  After receiving the epidural I felt much better! :) Just ask Mitch I am sure I was a much happier person as well. ha ha

Things were still progressing slowly. I had text my mom around 3:30 and I had finally made it to a 5. I put my phone down and the nurse came in and said lets put you on the peanut ball and see if that helps. Mitch decided he better take bathroom break while the nurses were doing that. He was gone maybe 2 min and when he walked out it was time to push, he got the nurse and the peanut ball had worked! I was at a 10 and ready to push! My doctor walked in just in time to deliver the baby.

At 4:20pm little Ruger Shane Heiner came into our lives. He cried right off the bat, the doctor handed him to me and put him on my chest. He was the sweetest little thing I have ever seen! I feel in love in that instant. The first thing I noticed was his right hand looked a little different. I thought I was seeing things. The nurse took him to get him cleaned up and get his weight and length. The nurse yells out from the scale and says "He is 6 lbs 16 oz!" the room got really quiet and I asked, " Isn't that 7 lbs?" Everyone just laughed, in the back ground we hear, "Yes it is! ha ha he is 19 inches long!" As the nurses continue to check him the nurse says, "Lets count his toes, There are ten little toes, now his fingers..." She got quiet then said, "Um doctor there are only nine fingers..." again the room got quiet. I knew I had only seen nine fingers! Mitch didn't notice til the nurse said something. The doctor looks and me with a grin on his face and says, "I am sorry I don't think I did anything to cause that." I just smiled and said, "Unique little boy, that's all."

After we got situated we went to call our families and tell them the news, we noticed we had a lot of missed calls and texts. Our families were so excited to hear he made it here safe. Some thought we were playing jokes by saying he only had 9 fingers. And trust me, that is a joke I would probably try to pull with my family. Especially since we were in AZ and they were all in ID. But I didn't have to, it was true. I had family members say they were sorry for that and worried that later he would be made fun of for it. Kids are cruel and I am sure there will be that one kid that just can't handle someone being different. But no need to be sorry, its a fact of life, he will never know the difference. He will be able to throw a mean curve ball! Who knows maybe he'll be able to play the piano better than everyone else. We will raise our kids to know how special they are and that no one can hurt them unless they let it.

We have one unique little boy! I wouldn't trade him for the world! That night I told Mitch he could go home he had a long day and still needed to go to school in the morning. He told me he would just sleep there and go to school for an hour or so and be back. I don't think he even heard Ruger and I get up for feedings or anything. I was still in awe over this sweet little spirit that had come into our life. I just watched him sleep for a little while, I would touch him every now and then to make sure he was still breathing! I just couldn't believe that he was here!




We were able to go home on Sat the 29th. When we got home I wasn't sure how Mazie was going to react to the new baby. Mitch had been taking blankets and stuff home with him so she would get use to his scent. She was so excited when we got home! She loves her new baby! Mitch on the other hand was so tired it didn't take him long to zonk out on the couch. Precious moments that's for sure!





No comments:

Post a Comment